Wednesday 8 February 2012

Let's talk

First of all, I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the love I received after my last blog post.  The number of people who have shared their very personal stories with me has been staggering.  The words of encouragement and comfort have meant the world to me.  What has been most shocking is how many people said they have the same thoughts/problems and reading my words helped them to feel less isolated.  I started this blog as therapy for myself, but to hear I've helped someone else (even just a little bit) makes baring my heart to the world completely worthwhile.


Today is Bell Let's Talk day.  I have to say - Bell has hit the nail on the head with their campaign.  Talking about my anxiety and depression is the number one thing that makes me feel better.  Why?  Because letting go of the shame feels good.  1 in 5 Canadians will experience some form of mental illness in their lifetime, yet so few people talk about it.  The fear of being labelled "crazy" or "unstable" is always on my mind when I write this blog.  Depression should not be shameful.  It is a medical condition.  


I encourage you to follow this link and get some facts about depression. http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/perspective.php  Here are a couple stories I could relate to or was encouraged by:  http://youtu.be/Cv1p-yBolZ0  and http://youtu.be/PdDvrWiiXkY  


Today, for every text message sent and every long distance call made by Bell and Bell Aliant customers, Bell will donate 5 cents to mental health programs.


If you're struggling, tell someone.  Get help.  At any given time, almost 3 million Canadians have serious depression. You are NOT alone.  You'll be surprised how good it feels to come clean with yourself and those you love.  And the best part - the love you'll receive in return.



No comments:

Post a Comment